There is a wealth of information available for those interested in the missions of northern Sonora and southern Arizona. Below are some links and suggested readings.
- Missions Initiative
- Tumacácori National Historical Park
- Mission 2000: Searchable Spanish Mission Records
- Documentary Relations of the Southwest Master Index
- University of Arizona Office of Ethnohistorical Research
- San Xavier del Bac Mission
- Patronato San Xavier
- The Patronato Blog
- Exploring Colonial Mexico
- Misiones Coloniales (In Spanish, this website documents colonial missions of Chihuahua)
- Eckhart, George B. and James S. Griffith, 1975. “Temples in the Wilderness: the Spanish Churches of Northern Sonora: Their Architecture, Their Past and Present Appearance, and How to Reach Them.” Monograph No. 3 of the Arizona Historical Society, Tucson.
- Griffith, James S., 1992. Beliefs and Holy Places: A Spiritual Geography of the Pimería Alta. Tucson: The University of Arizona Press.
- Griffith, James S., and Francisco Javier Manzo Taylor, 2007. The Face of Christ in Sonora/El Rostro del Señor en Sonora. Tucson: Rio Nuevo Publishers.
- Officer, James E., Mardith Schuetz-Miller, and Bernard Fontana, editors, 1996. The Pimería Alta: Missions and More. Tucson: The Southwestern Mission Research Center.
- Simmons, Marc, 1991. “Santiago: Reality and Myth.” In Simmons, Marc, Donna Pierce, and Joan Myers: Santiago: Saint of Two Worlds, Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press.